Futsal is the official five-a-side indoor soccer game and the only indoor soccer recognized by FIFA. Futsal is beginning to take the country by storm as more and more soccer players, coaches, clubs and associations discover the unique and positive qualities of Futsal. It is a game played around the world as many of today’s world stars began their youth soccer by playing Futsal. The Brazilians attribute their world soccer success to Futsal. Pele, Zico, Socrates, Ronaldo and Bebeto and recently Ronaldinho, Robinho, Kaka and Neymar all grew up playing Futsal and credit Futsal with developing their skills.
Futsal is a small-sided game (5v5 including the goalkeepers) played on a small field roughly the size of a basketball court. The game is played with the touchline boundaries and does not require the use of dasher boards. The official ball is a special low bounce ball that is smaller than an official size 5 soccer ball. The ball forces a player to use their skill rather than the ball’s bounce to propel it. It is a complete skill game. Futsal develops the overall fundamentals of soccer more effectively. It has been proven thatyouth players develop quicker reflexes, faster thinking and pinpoint passing. It is a superior game in terms of establishing players’ touch and technique.
As compared to the American indoor game where a player relies on utilizing the walls, Futsal forces a player to think two or three steps ahead without using the walls. One touch passing is essential in maintaining ball possession on a smaller surface. Therefore, an individual’s overall ball handling skills and off-the-ball movement enhance considerably. A player’s split second thinking improves automatically as one learns how to maintain possession and distribute the ball quickly. Shots must be more accurate, since a shot off target will not produce a rebound. More shots are also taken during the course of a game, which will enhance a player’s confidence, by taking on a defender and shooting quickly. A player does not have as much space or time to dribble with the ball. Futsal helps to develop tremendous close-quarters footwork.
Why Play Futsal?
- Fun – Players enjoy the challenge of playing a fast paced skill oriented game that tests their abilities.
- Safety – Futsal is much safer than traditional indoor soccer. Indoor soccer can be a violent game with extremely physical play such as players being “boarded” into the walls. The rules of Futsal restrict physical play, and there are no walls to run into.
- Ball Touches – In a statistical study comparing Futsal to indoor soccer with walls, Futsal players touched the ball 210% more often than indoor soccer players.
- Ball Control – With Futsal, the emphasis is clearly on control and technique. Without control and technique you cannot expect to succeed in Futsal. With limited space, boundary lines, and constant opponent pressure, improved ball control skills are required.
- Speed of Play – With limited space and constant opponent pressure, players learn to play fast to survive.
- Continuity of Play – Action is continuous so players are forced to continue play in support of their teammates.
- Mandatory Support – Without a wall as a crutch, players must make supporting runs when their teammates have the ball. With only 4 field players on the field and always needing the proper support positions offensively and defensively, a player will instinctively learn better spacing, passing and general tactics from playing Futsal. Players without the ball must move
to space and must truly support their teammates.
- Framing the Goal – The goal and Penalty Area are a perfect size for narrowing the angle so teams learn to frame the goal to score goals.
- Knowledge – With four court players and all the basic options of the outdoor game, players’ understanding of the game is enhanced.
- Encouraged Learning – The rules of Futsal encourage playing a skilled game by punishing all physical contact fouls.
- Rewards – Futsal rewards the same basic skills, tactics and knowledge of the game as the 11v11 outdoor game.
If you are serious about skills and technique development, Futsal is the superior activity!